Mr. Donald and Mrs. Carole Mulder of Palatine, IL, established this scholarship out of gratitude for the foundation for Christian living which was developed in their entire family while at Calvin. The Mulders are seeking to follow the command given in Isaiah 1:17 which states, “Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the cause of the widow.” The scholarship is named the Naomi Scholarship in reference to the Biblical description of Naomi and her two daughters-in-law in the book of Ruth, all of whom were widows. This scholarship was established for students from single parent families who have lost a parent through death or divorce, or for a student who is a single parent because of the loss of a spouse.
- entering freshman year (transfers may apply)
- cumulative high school GPA of 3.30 or higher for first-year students; cumulative college GPA of 3.00 or higher for transfer students
- lost a parent through death or divorce and whose remaining parent has not remarried, or a student who is a single parent because of loss of a spouse
- financial need as defined by government programs is required
- preference will be given to those who are not eligible for a denominational grant or for academic or other scholarships awarded by the university
Renewal criteria: This scholarship is automatically renewable if the student maintains a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher, exhibits principles of Christian character as defined by the university, and continues to demonstrate that the scholarship is needed to help meet educational expenses. Renewal is subject to funding availability.