Grace Dykstra Vellenga Scholarship
Mrs. Grace Dykstra Vellenga attended Calvin for one year. Because of the Depression she was not able to complete her degree program. After the untimely death of her husband, Bernard, Jr., in 1956, she returned to school as a non-traditional student at age 45 and completed her associate degree in speech communication at Columbia College in Chicago. Subsequently, she served as co-hostess of the Home Hour on the Moody Bible Institute Radio Station (WMBI) in Chicago. Mrs. Vellenga was an active witness for Jesus Christ and frequently used her speaking skills in serving as a Bible class teacher and Bible study group leader. This scholarship was established to support Calvin students desiring to integrate their faith with a career in communication.
- entering junior or senior year
- cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher
- pursuing a program in communication arts and sciences. Preference will be given to students majoring in telecommunications.
- financial need is considered
- if the above criteria are met, preference will be given to students who are planning a career in the Christian media and to those who demonstrate the ability to express the importance of their Christian faith in their lives
Renewal criteria: Students who wish to be considered for renewal must file a new application each year and will be given equal consideration with other candidates.