Clarence and Janice Walhout Scholarship
Both Clarence and Janice Walhout taught in the Calvin English Department for nearly thirty years. Grateful for the many lifelong benefits they received from Calvin and confident that Calvin still offers the best Christian higher education available, they endowed this scholarship for the benefit of future Calvin students. They are particularly pleased that Calvin continues to pursue Christian education in a manner that is both traditional and progressive. While holding firmly to its Reformed heritage, the institution recognizes the importance of responding to current discoveries and movements in science and philosophy. Since their own education at Calvin came primarily from the English and Philosophy Departments, they wish to give preference to students concentrating in one or both of these areas. However, the scholarship may also be awarded to deserving students in physics or music.
- entering junior or senior year
- cumulative GPA of 3.20 or higher
- first preference will be given to students pursuing a degree in English or philosophy
- if no qualified English or philosophy majors are identified, second preference will be given to students pursuing physics or music
- financial need is not required
Renewal criteria: This scholarship is automatically renewable with a cumulative GPA of 3.20 or higher. Renewal is subject to funding availability.