Whitney Young Outreach Scholarship
This scholarship was established to honor the dedication of its founding Board President, Kathy Miles, and its original Board Members: Floyd Miles, Delbert Crowe, and tenured member Christopher Wilks. Mrs. Miles had worked in the field of low to moderate income housing for more than forty years. It is the hope of the board that the monies available for this scholarship will encourage and enable promising students the financial backing to engage in their studies while pursuing a degree in nursing or biology. The donors want to provide an opportunity and pathway for students from challenging socioeconomic backgrounds to advance their education.
- entering sophomore, junior, or senior year
- cumulative GPA of 2.70 or higher
- pursuing a major in nursing or biology
- North American ethnic minority student, with first preference given to African American students
- exhibit a spirit of service and uphold the ideals of the founding members and have a positive outlook on life
- financial need as defined by government programs is required
Renewal criteria: This scholarship is automatically renewable if the scholarship criteria continues to be met (maximum of six semesters only). Renewal is subject to funding availability.