Bays-Herzberg China Semester Abroad Scholarship
As graduates of Calvin College and former students of Professors Larry Herzberg and Daniel Bays, for whom this scholarship is named, the donors are pleased to initiate this scholarship in their honor. Professor Herzberg, Associate Professor of Chinese and Japanese, has been teaching at Calvin since 1984 and leads the Calvin China and Japan interim trips. Professor Bays, Director of the Asian Studies Program, has been teaching at Calvin since 2000. He travels to China frequently, where he works with Chinese colleagues on the history of the Christian church and the Christian movements in China. Funded by Calvin graduates who are committed to the continued success of Calvin’s Asian Studies Program, this scholarship is given to strengthen a student’s passion for and understanding of Chinese culture and language.
- entering sophomore, junior, or senior year
- demonstrate an interest in pursuing Asian studies as a major or minor, having taken at least one course in Asian Studies
- participant in the semester abroad in China program
- financial need is considered
Renewal criteria: This scholarship is not renewable.
- May Term/Summer Intensives, Off-campus
- Supplemental Questions
- Candidates will communicate in a 400-500 word essay their personal interest in the semester abroad program in China by answering the following questions: 1. Explain your interest in the Asian Studies program. 2. Describe what you hope to accomplish during your semester abroad in China.