Daniel C. Duyst Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship was established by the Daniel Duyst family of Grand Rapids, MI, to honor the memory of Daniel’s life of devoted service in law enforcement. Officer Duyst gave his life on Memorial Day 1994, at the age of 37, in a rescue attempt by selflessly responding to another’s need.
- entering junior or senior year
- cumulative GPA of 2.70 or higher
- interested in criminal justice programs and future criminal justice work
- demonstrate evidence of Christian motivation to serve others
- financial need is considered
- special consideration may be given to those who aspire to careers in law enforcement but those interested in a broad range of juvenile and criminal justice programs will also be considered
Renewal criteria: Students who wish to be considered for renewal must file a new application each year and will be given equal consideration with other candidates.
- Daniel Duyst Family
- Sociology and Social Work
- Supplemental Questions
- Give evidence of a commitment to the field of criminal justice, demonstrated by personal aptitudes, testimony, and actions (volunteer and/or work experience)
- Highlight the development of your interest in criminal justice and indicate the factors that most influenced your decision to focus on criminal justice.
- What do you see as one of the most critical issues of criminal justice today? How does your Christian commitment to serve relate to this issue?
- What do you see as your greatest strengths? How will these help you in your pursuit of criminal justice?
- What do you hope to be doing in the field of criminal justice ten years from now?