Hoeks Family Scholarship
This scholarship was established in memory of Everett G. Hoeks and in gratitude for Calvin College’s blessings to Dr. Henry J. Hoeks and to his family. Everett Hoeks died in an airplane crash in 1968 while serving as a Calvin Seminary intern in Hawaii. Everett’s brother, Henry J. Hoeks, served Calvin College for 25 years as professor and academic administrator. This scholarship will be awarded to a Calvin junior or senior who demonstrates the desire to “seek first the Kingdom of God” while preparing to teach Bible, theology or religion studies at a Christian school or to direct the education ministry of a Reformed Christian church.
- entering junior or senior year
- cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher
- admitted into the professional education program
- pursuing a career that will allow either: 1) the student to teach Bible, theology or religion studies at a Christian school or 2) the student to direct the education ministry of a Reformed Christian church
- financial need is considered
Renewal criteria: Students who wish to be considered for renewal must file a new application each year and will be given equal consideration with other candidates.