Dr. James Penning Scholarship
The purpose of this scholarship, which honors the life and work of Dr. James Penning, Calvin professor of Political Science for 35 years, is to assist and encourage students who are interested in pursuing a career related to state and local government, and/or public administration. These were the areas of Dr. Penning’s passion, expertise, and ongoing research. This scholarship, established by Dr. Marge Penning, his wife of 38 years, recognizes and honors his love for teaching and Calvin University.
- entering junior or senior year
- cumulative GPA of 3.20 or higher
- political science major
- interested in a career in state and local government
- financial need is not required
- some preference may be given to students interested in an internship
Renewal criteria: Students who wish to be considered for renewal must file a new application each year and will be given equal consideration with other candidates.