Hets Molenhouse Music Scholarship
Hets Molenhouse began participating in church music as a young girl, when she was unexpectedly asked to play the organ at her home church when the regular organist didn’t arrive for the morning service. Too young to reach the foot pedals, Hets’ father joined her on the bench and operated the pedals while Hets played the keyboard. Her natural talent and ability to play virtually any song by ear made her a sought-after organist and pianist for a variety of churches and community organizations. Hets’ children established this scholarship to honor their mother’s love of music and the tremendous contributions she made through her musical gifts. As four of her children and many of her grandchildren attended Calvin College, they want to provide this award to a music major who plans to use his or her love of music in church worship.
- entering sophomore, junior, or senior year
- cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher
- planning to major in music
- planning to use their musical talents in worship
- have a record of superior achievement in music activities and have given evidence of outstanding talent and musicianship
- take private lessons in the medium in which the scholarship is granted during the year the scholarship is used
- financial need is considered
Renewal criteria: Students who wish to be considered for renewal must file a new application each year and will be given equal consideration with other candidates.