Howard J. Slenk Music Scholarship
This scholarship was established to honor Howard Slenk (now emeritus Professor of Music) and the influence he has had on the lives of the donors and many other students, through his leadership of the Capella Choir and Oratorio Society, as well as his excellent classroom teaching. His intelligence, sensitivity, and humility were a continuous example to young, ambitious students. This scholarship was established to honor his many contributions to the Music Department and to Calvin as a whole, but most particularly, his unique legacy to Calvin students.
- entering sophomore, junior, or senior year
- financial need is not required
Preference (in this order) is given to students:
- planning to go into choral conducting as a profession
- planning to enter the profession of church music, with a specialization in choral conducting
- planning to enter the profession of church music, with a specialization in organ
- focusing on the area of musicology
Renewal criteria: Students who wish to be considered for renewal must file a new application each year and will be given equal consideration with other candidates.