Trena Haan Voice Therapy Scholarship
Mrs. Trena Haan, a vocal music teacher for more than 60 years, with nineteen of these years teaching voice at Calvin, established this scholarship to encourage music students, future music teachers, and vocalists to appreciate how the voice is used correctly as an instrument. Since her “retirement”, she has been involved as a vocal therapist for people with physical vocal problems, helping numerous teachers, singers and speakers deal with hoarseness or abused vocal cords.
- entering sophomore, junior or senior year
- studying voice, choral conducting, or vocal music education
- a Calvin faculty member, present or past, involved in teaching voice
- Calvin vocal alumnus, currently involved in vocal music education
- financial need is not required
- preference will be given to applicants interested in studying the anatomy and function of the vocal instrument in order to provide voice therapy
Renewal criteria: Students who wish to be considered for renewal must file a new application each year and will be given equal consideration with other candidates.