Whitney Young Outreach Gerontological Nursing Scholarship
This scholarship was established to honor the dedication of its founding Board President, Kathy Miles, and its original Board Members: Floyd Miles, Delbert Crowe, and tenured member Christopher Wilks. Mrs. Miles had worked in the field of low to moderate income housing for more than 40 years. It is the hope of the board that the monies available for this scholarship will encourage and enable promising students the financial backing to engage in their studies while pursuing a degree in Geriatric Nursing. The donors want to provide an opportunity and pathway for students from challenging socioeconomic backgrounds to advance their education.
- entering junior or senior year
- cumulative GPA of 2.70 or higher
- in the nursing program
- interested in gerontological nursing
- exhibit a spirit of service and uphold the ideals of the founding members and have a positive outlook on life
- preference is given to students who are graduates of urban public high schools, or lived in Section 8 or Section 236 housing
- must complete a paid internship at Clark Memorial Home which involves 5-10 hours per week for one semester during the period in which the scholarship is received
- financial need as defined by government programs is required
Renewal criteria: This scholarship is automatically renewable if the scholarship criteria continues to be met (maximum of six semesters only). Renewal is subject to funding availability.