Henry Bruinsma Family Scholarship
This scholarship was established to honor Anna Bruinsma, wife of Henry J. Bruinsma. Anna, class of 1906, was one of the first twelve women to graduate from Calvin when it began offering a three-year teaching degree (1905, 1906). She loved music in all its forms. The scholarship also honors Henry A. Bruinsma, son of Henry J. and Anna, who continued this love of music. In addition to honoring Henry and Anna, the intent of this scholarship is to provide encouragement to the scholarship recipients. All of the people connected with this scholarship have personal stories that exemplify encouragement of others. It is the family’s hope that the recipients will both receive encouragement and, in turn, become encouragers of others.
- entering junior or senior year
- grade point average will be considered but not given priority
- music major
- have made significant contributions to the general music program at Calvin
- recognized as growing in spiritual and musical gifts
- financial need is considered
Renewal criteria: Students who wish to be considered for renewal must file a new application each year and will be given equal consideration with other candidates.