Richard and Sylvia Wevers Scholarship
This scholarship was established by Richard and Sylvia Wevers because they are convinced of the need for vigorous theological training of students preparing for the Christian ministry and of the central place of Biblical textual studies for doing sound theology. In the course of his 35-year career as a professor of classics where he helped train countless pre-seminarians in Greek, Richard Wevers and his wife Sylvia both developed the conviction that early and thorough study of the Greek language is indispensable for effective textual study of the Bible and that the benefits of understanding the culture, ideals, and history of the world in which the Septuagint was disseminated and the New Testament was written are invaluable.
- entering sophomore, junior or senior year
- cumulative GPA of 3.30 or higher
- excellent student of the Greek language, preferably majoring or minoring in a program in the classics department
- seriously committed to Christian ministry, preferably in the Christian Reformed Church
- financial need is not required
Renewal criteria: This scholarship is automatically renewable. Renewal is subject to funding availability.