John E. and June B. Hamersma Organ Scholarship
Dr. John and Mrs. June Hamersma are alumni and retired employees of Calvin. Dr. Hamersma was a Professor of Music and college organist and Mrs. Hamersma was the Director of the January Series. Because of their commitment to the Christian liberal arts ideals of Calvin and to the pipe organ and its literature, they have established this scholarship to encourage the serious study of the organ and its literature.
- entering freshman, sophomore, junior or senior year
- demonstrate musicianship in organ or piano
- first preference given to a music major studying organ; second preference to a non-major studying organ; third preference to a student studying piano
- audition on either piano or organ, if an entering freshman
- if there are two candidates of equal gifts, financial need will be considered
Renewal criteria: Students who wish to be considered for renewal must file a new application each year and will be given equal consideration with other candidates.