David B. Tuuk Sport Management Scholarship
Dave Tuuk helped guide the development of the physical education program from a P.E. minor and basic core activity courses into a department that offered a full complement of courses for future physical education teachers, exercise physiologists, coaches and recreators. Dave Tuuk coached many teams at Calvin but he is best known for his coaching of men’s cross country and men’s track and field. Through this scholarship Coach Tuuk wishes to contribute to preparing “agents of renewal” who are educated and called to the field of sport management and athletic administration, bringing to this field a distinctively Christian perspective of justice, honesty, stewardship, and compassion. It is Dave Tuuk’s hope that scholarship recipients will actively and effectively address such issues in sport as gender and racial equality, ethical decision-making, legal issues, and competition and that these actions will provide a significant socio-cultural challenge to, and change in our society.
- entering junior or senior year
- cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher
- pursuing a major in kinesiology with a declared emphasis in sport management
- demonstrate Christian character and values, a spirit of servant leadership, and a unique ability to motivate and inspire others towards excellence
- ability to articulate, verbally and in writing, a Christian perspective on sport management or athletic administration and a personal vision for this vocation
- demonstrate competence and potential to be successful in this field
- financial need is considered
- preference will be given to second semester junior students who have completed, or will in the present semester complete, at least six courses in a kinesiology major including at least two courses in the sport management emphasis
Renewal criteria: This scholarship is not automatically renewable. You must re-apply to be considered.